Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)


"A tense political thriller that resonates emotionally. Not to be missed, not even if you dislike subtitles! " Courir dans le vent rose

I went to see The Lives of Others at Shepherd’s Bush last night, and I left very impressed. For most of the film I was taken in by the drab 80s era east-Berlin scenery, it set up a cold mood. The middle got a little slow, so if you're looking for a thriller with lots of shoot-me up action, this isn't it, but there were so many plot twists that I remained deeply involved in the story. In the end it was all worth it as I came to fully appreciate this slow, methodological approach. It was only then that I noticed just how much I had invested in the characters. The kicker is the last 20 minutes, where everything sort of comes to light quite beautifully. I cried, almost wept really, laughed, and let out a huge sigh of relief when it was all over. By far my favourite movie of the year, a right successful thriller. Go see it, and expect to be moved. I think I might remember the last 4 words for a while to come. It might even make you think about the cost of security in our post 9-11 world.

For an overview:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/

For reviews:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/

0 comments: