Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Putting Bluesfest to Bed

As promised in my mid-festival photo essay, I'm reporting on Bluesfest a full 3 days since it ended, and 5 days since my last complete concert. I'll keep this short, I don't intend to give a review of the entire festival itself, since I only saw parts of at least 25 shows in 10 days and there were something like 150 bands overall. Instead, I've come up with my own awards list. Without further ado, from the studio in my bedroom on the second floor of my townhouse in Hintonburg, downtown Ottawa, the 2007 Bluesfest élan awards.

1. Best show for dancing- Shout Out Out Out Out

2. Best Ottawa band- Jetplanes of Abraham

3. Best personal find(s)- Cat Power; Gogol Bordello; Shout Out Out Out Out

4. Most disappointing show(s): Sarah Harmer; The Cat Empire; The White Stripes; Manu Chao; Blue Rodeo

5. Most amazing individual performance: Tagaq

6. Best concert moment: George Clinton rapping for 5 minutes, after calling himself the original gangsta rapper.

7. Classiest moment: George Clinton having local breakers on-stage, and then bear-hugging them

8. Best overall show(s): Jetplanes of Abraham; Shout Out Out Out Out; Gogol Bordello; Hawksley Workman; Metric; George Clinton & the P-Funk All-Stars

9. Show(s) I'm sorry I missed: Todd Snider, Xavier Rudd, Femi Kuti, Sharon Jones, Joel Plaskett & Emergency

10. Most annoying Bluesfest feature: lawnchairs

11. Most enjoyable Bluesfest feature: new location & green awareness

0 comments: